Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Our first couple weeks

It's been almost 2 weeks since I've had E, and she's been keeping me very busy!

Recovery: That was tough in the beginning. I was on complete bedrest for 3 days. The only thing I was allowed to do was walk the five feet to the bathroom and walk back. I could walk by myself the first day, so M and my mom had to help me the entire time. I basically sat and cuddled in bed with E, while my mom (superwoman) did laundry and cooked for us. M was on diaper duty most of the time and he spent time with E and I cuddling. Finally, about 1 week after delivery, I felt like a normal human being.

Outings: After a week of being stuck in the house, I said enough is enough. We went to the grocery store. My mom was gone and M was back at work. I just needed human interaction. Everyone completely swooned at E.  All of the older woman stopped to look at her and ask the questions: "How old is she?" "You're out of the house?" "How big is she?". After the grocery store, the next day we ventured to Target. She did great. I put her in the Maya Ring Sling and she snoozed away! At 15 days old I took E by myself to my mom's 2 hours away! I felt so brave to go. I enlisted the help of my 5 year old nephew. He sat in the back seat next to E and reported her color and her sleeping state to me. It turned out to be a great trip!

Sleep: I have a fabulous sleeper. I love sleep. I love to sleep and snuggle under my covers, so naturally I dreaded the part of having a newborn who doesn't sleep. But by the grace of God, my child sleeps 4 hours at a time. That I can handle. I hope this lasts because I am LOVING it!

Feedings: This girl can eat! Holy moly she loves to just be close to me. Sometimes she fakes me out and acts like she is hungry but she isn't. All she wants to do is be close to me for comfort. This got old really quickly to me. As much as I love her, I want M to be able to comfort her too. So, we quickly introduced the pacifier. I was worried about nipple confusion at first, but trust me, this little girl knows the difference and will let me know when she doesn't want the pacifier anymore.

"You have a big baby!": Yes, thank you. I'm quite aware she is long and a little chubby. I pushed her out and felt every bit of it. E is very long. She is taking after her dad. M is 6'3 and I have a feeling she is going to be taller than me. I hear all the time how big she is. In reality if you see her in person, she doesn't look big because she is so skinny. The poor girl is getting criticized about her size and she's only 16 days old. Let's hope that dies down before that causes any emotional damage before her teenage years. ;) But really. Yes, people I know that she's bigger than the average newborn. You don't have to keep reminding me, like I said before, I'm the one that pushed her out. Naturally.

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks. M's first Father's Day is this year and we are so excited to be celebrating it this year. We also are very excited to celebrate E's first 4th of July. This summer is full of exciting things and we are enjoying watching our little girl grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment