Monday, September 17, 2012

Sweet and Salty Roasted Almonds

So with my "new found diet" I'm on. (forced diet I should say.) I'm trying to find snacks to eat that are minimally processed. I'm on a little bit of a nut craze right now, which I blame on my sister because she made me really good cashew butter.

I bought a bag of almonds at Trader Joe's and I've been trying to come up with ways to turn them into a snack because I hate just regular old almonds.

I thought that roasted almonds sounded good, so I looked up recipes and they were ok, but I'm a snacker and I was craving something salty and sweet. So I looked up glazed almonds, and oh my word do those look good, but they are probably very bad for you, especially when I see the amount of sugar in them. So off to the kitchen I went.

I managed to distract E on her play mat long enough for me to do this:

I took a full 1 pound bag of raw Trader Joe almonds with about 2 cups of water, 1 table spoon of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. (I might have added a little more cinnamon for taste, because well, I love it!)






I covered the bowl and left it in the fridge for about 2 hours.

I then preheated the oven to 350 degrees F.

Then I strained the almonds from the water mix and then put the almonds on the greased baking sheets.


I baked them for 15-20 minutes.

Pulled them out and let them cool a tad and then placed them in a bowl.


I added a few pinches of sea salt and viola! Done! A sweet and salty snack for my gluten, dairy free self.

No comments:

Post a Comment