Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Homemade deodorant.. and it actually works.

Today I tried something that I didn't really think I would do, but I think I'm going to be saying that a lot as I do this challenge.

I made my own deodorant. Really. I did. It was super easy and I think I might like it better than the regular store bought. Also, I did it in less than 8 minutes, but you could probably do it in 5.

I know what you're thinking. But really, I tried it today and I didn't smell at all.  I got the recipe here. I really wanted to use Thieves oil so I could kill two birds with one stone since I've been wanting to try that too.

Okay so if you wanted to try this unique and easy project you'll need:
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup baking soda
2ish tablespoons of baking soda
An essential oil you'd like to use.


Add the coconut oil, corn starch, and baking soda together and mix. It will look like this at first.


Once you add your desired amount of essential oil. (I did about 15 drops) keep mixing and it should look like this.


Afterwards I smoothed it out with a spoon and then put it in a smaller pyrex dish.

This makes a small amount which is perfect for someone's first time trying it.


After wearing it for the first time today, I can say I love it. It took a couple hours to get used to the smell. The only inconvenience is not just rolling it on, but as far as doing the job, it did the job and it smells better and longer.

I try to think of it like this. There are 11 ingredients in regular deodorant. I don't know what 9 out of those 11 ingredients are. With this, I know exactly what's in what I made. 4 ingredients. Natural ingredients.

I don't know how long I'll continue using this, but I'm finding that being toxic free is a lot easier than I thought and a lot less time consuming that I originally planned.



1 comment: